This slideshow requires JavaScript.


BIRMINGHAM, AL (WBRC)Instead of picking out a dress for an upcoming ball, Alicia Rice is now planning the funeral of her 14-year-old daughter, Kierra’onna Rice.

“We miss her. We miss her so much. It’s hard. It’s hard now,” said Keke’s grandmother, Marilyn Rice.

Known as Keke to many, the teen was shot and later died after a fight was supposed to take place at a West End park on Friday night.

Police say Keke had been arguing with a group of girls over Facebook for a few weeks. After the girls started fighting in the park, police say two teenage males pulled out guns and began shooting at the girls.

Rice died from her injuries at Princeton Hospital, and two other victims were also shot. They were transported to UAB Hospital for treatment.

Police believe one of the shooters was dating one of the girls who was involved in the fight.

On Monday, Birmingham police identified the suspects as Antonio King, 17, and Jason Wade, 19, both of Birmingham.

King and Wade have each been charged with murder, first degree assault and second degree assault. They are being held in the Jefferson County Jail on bonds of $3 million each.

Alicia Rice said she knew about the bullying but said she would have never allowed her daughter to go to the park.

“I called her and I said, ‘Go home.’ She said, ‘I’m going home Momma.’ She text [sic] me and said, ‘Momma, I’m sorry. But I got to fight this girl one more time.’ That’s what she told me. She didn’t tell me where she was when she hung up. And text [sic] me and said, ‘I got to fight her one more time, not one more time but I have to fight her and go and get it over with,'” Alicia recalled.

Alicia said the bond between her and her daughter was strong. She thinks peer pressure led to Friday’s fight.

“I think this is just the one time where somebody just convinced her just to come on, you need to prove yourself. Get this over with,” Keke’s aunt, Tyanna Rice, said.

“She said, ‘I love you so much and I’m going to call you right back.’ But before I could get that call back her mama was calling me and telling me that she was gone,” said Keke’s boyfriend of two years, Javonte Hurst.

Along with Keke’s mom, Hurst also tried to convince her not to go to the park. He hopes her death will make teens think twice if they’re put in a similar situation.

“Put down the weapons. Everyone has had some type of back and forth to say with each other. Why kill them over just words?” Hurst said.

A GoFundMe account has been set up for Keke’s funeral expenses. You can find the page here: of Monday morning, the GoFundMe account had raised more than $5,000 of a $10,000 goal.

There will also be a candlelight vigil for Keke on Sunday, March 8 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Railroad Park.